Sunday, September 4, 2011

Harvest Time!

A fall tradition we've enjoyed an excursion to local mountain orchards and gathering fruit. 
Last year, we missed the peak and there were few fruit left on the tree. 
Opening Weekend 2011, Here We Come!!
 I relish catching sight of the kids' delight in selecting wholesome fruit. 
John 15:16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruitfruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you.



 We were taught about farm life on the orchards by the O'Dells. 
They were a remarkable couple who gave an hour chatting and sharing stories with us.

 We were all ears to tales about protecting livestock from mountain lions
Caring for animals by watering, feeding, cleaning, milking. Farming orchards is watering, irrigating, fertilizing, pruning, harvesting.







Admiring handsome horses:


 The four of us:



I smile on this occasion and am already energized for our next journey out here.
 I think they are too:
John 15:4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.


 Our custom is to pick up some candy on our expedition home. We found a Candy Mine in these parts!


 The chosen jewels from the mine:
 Next day, in the middle of learning, an idea popped up to make fruit crisp, out of nowhere.
Lickety Split Idea!
We made the most of the ingredients we had on hand:

Final decree: Thumbs up!




1 comments:

  1. We love that orchard too! Those fruit crisps look yummy! ;)

    ReplyDelete