Off we headed to see a telescope with a 200 inch diameter lens!
We enjoyed the beauty of Hume Lake on the way there:
and mountain vistas and windy roads
then a short hike to the dome that houses the telescope:
We looked for snakes, squirrels, and lizards on the way. The red ants were busy and could carry things 4 times their size!
The kids couldn't keep their eyes off all those ants {smile}:
Once inside the dome, we enjoyed the former world's largest telescope:

Once inside the dome, we enjoyed the former world's largest telescope:
We were inside when the heavy dome rotated. It was so cool to see that since it's hard to imagine all that tonage moving over our heads.
A 200 inch mirror on the bottom reflects the light back up to the "eyepiece" where the image is received:
A pic on the way in and out:
Outside was another telescope with which we could see the "solar flares" on the sun. "O give thanks to the Lord...that made great lights..sun...by day...moon and stars...by night.." Psalm 136:3,7,8-9
and visualize the red spectra of Mercury's atmosphere.
I'm so thankful for the opportunities that we have to be alongside our children learning with them as they grow in knowledge. I am humbled by the miracle of life and honored to be a part of the Lord's plan to care for these kids and teach them in the way they should go. Since they were born, time has gone so fast and will continue to. I know there are moments that I've taken parenthood for granted. I'm relishing it at this moment though :-)
A pic on the way in and out:
Outside was another telescope with which we could see the "solar flares" on the sun. "O give thanks to the Lord...that made great lights..sun...by day...moon and stars...by night.." Psalm 136:3,7,8-9
and visualize the red spectra of Mercury's atmosphere.
I'm so thankful for the opportunities that we have to be alongside our children learning with them as they grow in knowledge. I am humbled by the miracle of life and honored to be a part of the Lord's plan to care for these kids and teach them in the way they should go. Since they were born, time has gone so fast and will continue to. I know there are moments that I've taken parenthood for granted. I'm relishing it at this moment though :-)"You placed the stars in the sky and You know them by name. You are amazing God" ~Chris Tomlin

0 comments:
Post a Comment